Festive Holiday DIY: Glitter Mason Jar Candles

27 Nov

Nothing says “Christmas” like glitter putting up the tree and setting up the nativity scene.

Well, that and the trifecta of epic Christmas albums (Mariah, Bieber, N’Sync. Duh.).

But seriously. The holidays are one of the only times where it’s socially acceptable to use glitter as an adult.

If you’re looking for a quick, easy, festive holiday DIY with glitter (who isn’t?), then pull out a few mason jars and make glittery candles.

It’s sort of like snowflakes, in a jar.

Just make a glue wash (glue + water) and brush the inside of the mason jars. I used regular ol’ Elmer’s glue, and adding the water helps it brush on easier.

Add glitter of your choice (I like silver) to the inside of the jars, and roll/spin the jar around until the glitter coats the sides.

Let dry, and….done. Simply add a tea light, and you’re good to go.

I brushed the glue almost all the way up to the top, but you could do it at various levels for the mismatched-yet-chic look.

These take about five minutes to make, and definitely give the house a festive look, even when they aren’t lit.

Seriously, iloveglitter.

About these ads

80 Responses to “Festive Holiday DIY: Glitter Mason Jar Candles”

1. Barbara B April 19, 2013 at 11:18 am #

I love these!!! Who can’t use a little sparkle anytime of year.

2. amy May 10, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

How much glue and water do you use

• cakerypapery May 14, 2013 at 11:19 am #

Hi Amy!

I added just enough water to the glue to make it brush able- you don’t need more than a few drops per teaspoon of glue.

• Ash August 20, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

Hi cakerypaper
        I was wondering how long it takes for the glue.to dry? And also where you got those jars… also one more thing… can you add food coloring to the glue and wate to make it the color you want out is that a bad idea?

• cakerypapery August 20, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

I’ve never tried the food coloring trick – but it might work? Else you could try colored glitter. I let the glue dry in mine for about an hour or so, and then it seemed to be okay.

I didn’t buy the jars, just had them lying around the house. But, you can buy mason jars at most grocery or craft stores, else you can check your local thrift store or Goodwill.

3. Taylor May 17, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

Will the glue melt if the candle burns for too long? I know some types of glue will but I’ve never tried elmers.

• cakerypapery May 21, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

I’ve never had this problem-but I only use tea lights. The candles don’t burn that hot.

4. Emily June 2, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

Does the glue dry clear? I just tied it and it looks white from the outside…

• cakerypapery June 2, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

Hey Emily!

When I use regular glue, it is not clear, more translucent than anything else. (Which I don’t mind? Because you can’t tell when the tea light is lit.)

If you want it to be clear, look for a glue-gel that says ‘dries clear’ on the label!

5. eloise June 4, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

love it….. every day can be New Year’s Eve !!!

• cakerypapery June 7, 2013 at 11:00 am #

Agree! Everyone needs a little glitter in their life.

6. Chante June 6, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

What a lovely wedding idea! I’ll be linking to it on our DIY Wedding Ideas pinboard. Check it out at pinterest.com/homedepot.

– Chante

• cakerypapery June 7, 2013 at 10:59 am #

That’s great! Thanks so much for the link over – looking forward to seeing it on the wedding board.

7. Jen June 7, 2013 at 11:54 pm #

Is it safe to use a tea light? I want to do this for my wedding in July but my Mom said you can’t burn around glue and glitter?

• cakerypapery June 11, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

Jen –

I use tea lights in mine. I’ve heard a few concerns around glue/glitter – but so far I haven’t had a problem. I think as long as the candle wick is low you will be ok.

Alternatively, you could buy the wick-less faux candles that glow, and achieve a similar effect.

-Rose

• Tami Perkins Urban October 16, 2013 at 4:15 pm #

Glitter is flammable. I ‘d go with the battery candles for safety.

8. Kalynn June 21, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

What size mason jars are those? I am looking to do some as part of center pieces for my wedding. Also if you know of anywhere I can get a bulk of them for cheap let me know please! I found some on Amazon, but they are 16 oz size.

I love the idea though, super cute and sounds easy!!
    Thanks!

• cakerypapery June 23, 2013 at 9:38 am #

Hi! I used a variety of sizes from the smaller pint jars to larger quart size ones. I had these leftover from various jam and canning projects-so not exactly sure on a cheap place to purchase. You might want to check out your local goodwill; they often have interesting glassware shapes that would work for this project.

• Lydia September 24, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

Dollar Tree has lots of pretty shaped candle holders that would work too. I put sheer ribbon around my plain glass stuff to give it some color. You could do this with this project too. Can’t wait to do this!!

• Lisa December 3, 2013 at 9:14 pm #

Check Walmart for the jars.

• cakerypapery December 27, 2013 at 9:26 am #

Great thought – I have also found mason jars at my local grocery store, and you can often find unique jars at thrift shops or Goodwill.

9. Kelly June 27, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

When putting in the glitter, how do you go about doing that? I tried to put it in and all it did was clump on the sides….what can I do?

• cakerypapery July 10, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

Hmm…not sure what to say on this one? I use small amounts of glitter and just enough glue so it sticks.

10. Polly July 5, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

I love glitter but only during CHRISTMAS,& IM EXCITED ABOUT THIS HOLIDAY TO BE CREATIVE. Thank you.

• cakerypapery July 10, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

Enjoy and thank you! It’s a great holiday craft!

11. Stacie July 24, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

I want to try this out with different colors of fine glitter to match my wedding colors!

Love this idea! Thanks sooo much!

• cakerypapery August 5, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

Let me know how it goes! and good luck with the wedding planning!

• Stacie August 8, 2013 at 1:49 am #

I tried out a few different things. I used clear elmers glue and normal white elmers, both watered down. After drying, I couldnt really tell a difference but depending on how much you water it down, I would go with the clear just to be safe (or at least that’s what I liked better).

Also, I used silver and teal fine glitters. It gives a different look. I thought the silver looked a little cheap, maybe in a larger flake it would be good, or less of it looked better too. But solid, using ~1 tblspoon, was just OK. I may try again with a white fine glitter and used less of it.

I really liked how the teal looked though. Very pretty. They also looked a lot better when done like you did them, fading the amount towards the top or leaving some glass unglittered.

All of the 3 that I did looked pretty good with a tea light candle and I had no melting glue issues or anything after 3 hrs of burning.

Thanks again for the tutorial!

• cakerypapery August 8, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

Teal! I love it! Like tiffany candles!

12. Kim August 1, 2013 at 12:18 am #

These are beautiful!
    I tried to do them last night but the glitter was too thick, so the candle didnt shine through the way I was hoping, how much glitter did you use?

• cakerypapery August 5, 2013 at 6:45 pm #

It’s hard to judge – maybe a tablespoon or just a bit more? I used sparingly and added more in until the candle was coated.

Good luck!

13. Briana August 13, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

I absolutely LOVE this. It’s so adorable! I just tried making a few since I’m redecorating my room and I experienced the problem that a few other people mentioned having where the glitter clumps up in some spaces and makes it too opaque or uneven looking (I think it happens when you use finer glitter as opposed to one with larger flakes). A quick fix that I used for it, after cleaning the jars out to start fresh, was to simply add the glitter directly to the water/glue mixture, mix it up, and then paint it on the inside all together. That way you can control exactly how much, and where, your glitter goes. Thanks so much for this! So pretty!

• Patricia December 5, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Brilliant! Thanks!

14. cassandra August 18, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

Super cute! so doing these !

15. Vibhuti August 25, 2013 at 10:10 am #

These are just gorgeous, will be using this for my high tea garden party :) thanks for sharing !!

• cakerypapery September 8, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

I’m glad you like them, hope the party goes well!

16. Peggy September 5, 2013 at 10:27 am #

I am so excited to see this Mason jar and candle with glitter…you have inspired me , I can hardly wait to try it. Peggy

17. Peggy September 5, 2013 at 10:31 am #

You have inspired me…can hardly wait to try it. thank you.

18. RaspberryT September 5, 2013 at 10:29 pm #

Just wanted to say I’ll be doing this project…some day. I’m pinning it for future DIY. They are so pretty & Thank You for posting the tutorial. I’d also like to say I ♥ how you respond & answer all the questions or comments left on your post. I’m one of those people who reads every comments posted. It’s nice to get some feedback. A suggestion & I haven’t tested this out yet, but maybe paint the glue & glitter on the outside & cover it with mod podge? Would that work? Just an idea/suggestion for those who are concerned with the lit candle.

• cakerypapery September 8, 2013 at 8:37 pm #

I haven’t tried the glitter on the outside, but I imagine it would work also. And mod podge is a great idea!

19. Kelly September 21, 2013 at 11:15 pm #

I just had a Pinterest party today and this was my craft contribution. We all made these and they came out great! We used several different types and colors of glitter and I didn’t see much difference between the finer and bigger sized glitter. I have also not seen any issues with using tea light candles in them and the glue melting. I do have to say those who did various colors in theirs came out the best, they were so pretty when lit! Thanks for the great idea!

20. Mette September 23, 2013 at 7:18 am #

I’ve taken the liberty to link to this page from my blog – hope it’s okay, It’s such a good idea for christmas….

21. bitsybet October 16, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

I just saw your idea on another blog that was using your picture, with your trademark cut off, and no link to your blog to give you the credit. Luckily, Google image search allowed me to find Cakerypapery as the original source of the image. Can’t wait to try this. I plan on incorporating it into my Christmas hearth display. I love to light candles when the fire is burning and shut off the lights. I’m sure these will be a beautiful addition.

22. Danni@SiloHillFarm November 10, 2013 at 8:59 am #

So fabulous! Saw you featured over at Design Dreams by Anne and fell in love with the sparkly simplicity of this!

23. Styling Notes November 18, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

“The holidays are one of the only times where it’s socially acceptable to use glitter as an adult.” LOL!
    Will make a few of these for my backyard (Christmas holidays are spent mostly out on the deck here in Sydney)
    StylingNotes.com.au

24. Styling Notes November 18, 2013 at 6:29 pm #

I’m so going to make a fewe of these for my backyard!(here in Sydney most of the Christmas holidays are spent outside)
    StylingNotes.com

25. Renee Serfass November 24, 2013 at 9:55 am #

I made these jar’s last summer and am in the process of making GOLD ones for centerpieces for my sister’s 50th Wedding Anniversary….YES you can add food coloring…I do these to mine, then put in the oven for 30 minutes at 200 degree’s….They turned out beautiful for 4th of July in Red and Blue…No glitter needed…

26. Fernanda :) December 2, 2013 at 6:21 pm #

Hello! Sorry to bother you, but do these look pretty without the tea lights? I want to use it as a gift jar (for a perfume). Any ideas?

• cakerypapery December 27, 2013 at 9:25 am #

I think they look nice during the day and not lit up, but that’s just me!

27. loftyappetite December 3, 2013 at 9:29 am #

I just spent all weekend making hundreds of these for my wedding! Thanks for the inspiration. :) Also I saw you were featured on budgetbabe.com. Congrats!

28. Lori December 6, 2013 at 12:26 am #

I am thinking of making these for neighbor gifts for Christmas.

29. Janet Mangano December 20, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

i was wondering… wouldn’t this be flammable? I would’ve thought on the outside, but inside im a little worried? Great idea though if it isn’t! :)

• cakerypapery December 27, 2013 at 9:24 am #

I use tea lights, and haven’t had an issue. I think it depends on the type of glue you use – but I’m not a fire marshall, so don’t quote me!

I have also seen a version of this with spray starch instead of glue.

30. medina December 27, 2013 at 1:06 am #

wouldn’t the heat from the candle melt the glue?

• cakerypapery December 27, 2013 at 9:24 am #

I haven’t had this issue, but I use small tea light candles.

31. Haley January 3, 2014 at 12:27 pm #

I did this for my New Year’s Eve party a couple days ago and I used the glossy modge podge. I painted the inside with one layer of MP and rolled glitter and then once it dried I did another layer of MP. I was able to burn tea lights the whole night in them with no problems.
    Thanks for the idea!! Everyone loved them!

• cakerypapery January 5, 2014 at 9:19 pm #

Sounds awesome! Modge podge is a miracle worker!

32. coGv17k January 26, 2014 at 11:46 am #

So I love the idea. I was just wondering. If I were to put something besides a candle in there. Say foo a gift, does the glitter brush off over time. Or does it stick?

• cakerypapery February 4, 2014 at 8:28 pm #

I’ve never had a problem with it brushing off – but when I made these I wasn’t envisioning them being “long-lasting”!

• coGv17k February 13, 2014 at 12:18 pm #

Okay, thanks for the reply. I started making them, and I can’t stop they are so cute and pretty. I tinted the glue with food coloring and it turned out really cool!!

33. cakerypapery August 5, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

Glad you like it! Every one needs a bit more glitter in their life!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Glitter Mason Jar Candles | DIY Project Network - April 23, 2013

[…] day living, give these fun mason jars a try!  They’re super simple to make, and over at CakeryPapery she has the play by play action down […]

2. Fun Friday! | - May 24, 2013

[…] how cute CakeryPapery‘s Glitter Mason Jar Candles are!! They suggest making them as a holiday decoration but I love it for any time of the year! I […]

3. Inspire-se: Idéias pra renovar seu quarto - A Fulana - Blog de moda, beleza, música, viagens e muito mais - June 4, 2013

[…] guardar potes de vidro de maionese, geléia, etc, pra fazer luminárias com glitter lindas como essas com apenas cola, água e purpurina (a vela pode ser fake, à bateria)! Ou então decorar uma parede […]

4. Friday Find: CakeryPapery in the wild! | cakerypapery - June 21, 2013

[…] saw my glitter mason jars! Pinned by a random pinner that I don’t even know! My photo and my mason jars – randomly on […]

5. Glitter Mason Jar Candles « Live More Daily | Live More Daily - July 12, 2013

[…] Cakery Papery // // (Image Source) […]

6. DIY Obsession » Glitter Mason Jar Luminaries - July 12, 2013

[…] Thank you cakerypapery.com! […]

7. Glitter Candle Jars | superstevied - July 13, 2013

[…] This one was super easy and kid friendly. Two of my favorite features in a pin! ^.^ Over the last several months I’ve been stockpiling assorted jars and wine bottles for different projects. Sometimes it pays off! I’ve recently adapted one of my thirty-one large utility totes into a craft bag, in an attempt to keep my supplies together. Keeping that bag with my scrap poking supplies keeps my bases covered! I drew from my magic tote, my mod-podge and diamond dust. I used one of my sponge brushes, got some mod-podge on the side of it and brushed it all around the inside of my empty and clean jars. Now it’s time to let the kids play. I dumped a bit of diamond dust into the jar, while the mod-podge was still wet, and let them spin it around and around. I dumped the excess dust onto my newspaper table protector. Then you just let everything dry and insert a tea light candle into your jar and let it sparkle! The original pinner said she used a glue wash (Elmer’s glue + water) instead of mod-podge, but I had the mod-podge handy. Then she said you can use whatever glitter you would like. The only place I disagree with the original pinner is over when is the appropriate time for glitter is. She says Christmas is the only acceptable time. My argument: don’t let anyone dull your sparkle! I think glitter is appropriate anytime, as long as it doesn’t cover everything you own. Tony did agree that these would be a beautiful centerpiece for Christmas, especially if I put them on a cheerful plate. Happy crafting and keep on sparkling! Original pin can be found at http://cakerypapery.com/2012/11/27/festive-holiday-diy-glitter-mason-jar-candles/ […]

8. Simple DIY Mason Votives | Endless DIY - August 13, 2013

[…] little jars into something you can cherish. While it may not be Christmas time quite yet, these glitter covered mason candle holders are a great way to display your candles. All you need is water, glue and the glitter of your […]

9. Glitter Jar Candles | emandelle65 - October 4, 2013

[…] saw these really cute glittery jars on cakerypapery and thought I could probably do […]

10. Wordless Wednesday | Positive Changes For Life - November 13, 2013

[…] Little Miss Crafty […]

11. Homemade Christmas Candles Ideas - MotivaNova - MotivaNova - November 26, 2013

[…] DIY Project and Photo credit to cakerypapery.com […]

12. Advent Calendar Day 7 – Glitter Candle Jar | Girls Heart Books - December 6, 2013

[…] – and I got this idea from the Cakerypapery blog (where you can see pics of jars done with silver […]

13. A Year of Crafts | Castles in Europe - December 22, 2013

[…] Craft Number 9 – Glitter Mason Jars […]

14. How to make DIY mason jar candles and holders - MotivaNova - MotivaNova - January 10, 2014

[…] DIY tutorial at cakerypapery.com […]

15. Friday Find: Darby Smart | cakerypapery - January 10, 2014

[…] designer, and I am FINGERS CROSSED HOPING TO JESUS that I get selected. I’d love to put my DIY glitter mason jar candles on there, or something of my stamping crafts. But, trying to #liveinreality and remember that this […]

16. Glittery mason jar candles | All Natural Weddings and Events - January 10, 2014

[…] http://cakerypapery.com/2012/11/27/festive-holiday-diy-glitter-mason-jar-candles/ […]